Publishers and Booksellers Guild
PUBLISHERS & BOOKSELLERS GUILD
One of the premier forums of the country’s book world, the Publishers & Booksellers Guild was founded in the year 1975. The Guild comes in a big way with the object of promoting reading habits amongst the people and extending help to the publishers and booksellers in the successful pursuance of their trade. The Guild helps people in need to become part of a real community – somewhere they can find ideas, advice and information. The Guild helps them by providing a forum to exchange ideas and resources. Smaller companies need a loud collective voice and the strength to make an impact in the wider society. Again, the Guild provides them the platform. The activity of the Guild stretches far beyond this. Being a social organisation, Guild is quite aware of its social obligations and within limited resources, tries its best to discharge its duties.
PARTICIPATING IN BOOK FAIRS -- NATIONAL & REGIONAL PRESENCE
The Publishers and Booksellers Guild is an integral part of book fairs and festivals across the country and participates with its – ‘Books from Bengal’ section, to give an idea of the kind of publishing that happens here. Among the important fairs that the Guild participates in are,
- World Book Fair in New Delhi
- Agartala Book Fair in Tripura
- North-East Book Fair in Guwahati
- Lucknow Bangla Boi Mela
- Uttar Pradesh Bangla Festival at Kanpur
- Delhi Children Book Fair
- Basanti Puja Book Fair at Pune
- Kabipaksha Boi Mela at Nandan, Kolkata
- Children Book Fair in Rabindra Sadan, Kolkata in collaboration with Sishu Kishore Akademi, Govt. of West Bengal
- Book exhibition for observing Library Day organised by State Central Library, Kolkata
- Rashtriya Madhyamik Siksha Abhijaan Book Fairs During the festival season in Autumn, the Guild attends the puja festivals in Mumbai, Secunderabad, Noida, Bengaluru, Pune and Chennai with a wide variety of Bengali
ORGANISING BOOK FAIRS
The Guild also helps organising book fairs in West Bengal as well as in other parts of the country. Important among them are
- Nababarsha Boi Utsab on the occasion of Bengali New Year
- Book Bazar, organized to enable booklovers collect old and rare books at a
- ‘Tomar Aamar Boimela’ organized randomly at Housing Complexes having about
400 residents, over weekends.
- Grame Grame Boimela, organising fairs at school complexes in rural areas of different districts of West Bengal.
- Barak Book Fair
- Bangur Book Fair
- Naihati Book Fair
- Dhanbad Book Fair
The Guild participates in a number of international book fairs in order to showcase books from Bengal and Eastern India.
- Frankfurt Book Fair
- Beijing International Book Fair
- Moscow International Book Fair
- London Book Fair
- Antorjatik Bangla Sahitya Sammelan, Dhaka
- North American Bengali Conference (NABC)
The Guild has compiled a ‘Rights Catalog’ of important books which may be of interest to foreign publishers. The catalog, which is in a continuous process of updation, will help visiting representatives to initiate talks about translation, co-publishing and/or joint publishing rights.
Free transport of books for the benefit of publishers who participate in book fair outside Bengal organised by Guild Collecting and delivering books to the districts of West Bengal ordered by the Raja Rammohun Roy Library Foundation. Setting up of Special pavilions to promote reading habit among the children and teenagers.
SOCIAL WELFARE ACTIVITIES
Donation of books to poor meritorious students through different social welfare organizations.
- Organising free health-check camp for people engaged in publication world.
- Helps to alleviate misery in the event of natural disasters & Act of God.
- In Amherst Street (Raja Ram Mohan Roy Sarani) is situated Children’s Happy Home, a school where most of the students hail from economically challenged
families. For the support of these children, Publishers and Booksellers Guild decided to take the following initiatives 1) Provision of free school uniforms to
all students, 2) Setting up a library consisting of Bengali, Hindi and English books, 3)providing tiffin on all the school days, 4) organising a free health
check up once in a month.
A Post Graduate Diploma course in Book Publishing is being organized by the Guild jointly with Calcutta University since 2005. Pass outs are getting opportunities to get placed in established publishing houses or are even being helped to start their own ventures.
Every year the Guild publishes a comprehensive catalogue of books published from Eastern India FAIR DIRECTORY & BANGLA PRAKASHANA
BOIMELA, the Bengali journal of the Guild containing information about books, interviews, stories, criticism and rare & unpublished articles of great yesteryear
writers is published thrice in a year. A desk-top calendar is released every year commemorating events and highlighting interesting topics, for book lovers.
|President||Shri Prabir Kr. Mazumdar|
|Vice Presidents||Shri Asok De, Shri Sribindu Bhattacharya|
|Hony. General Secretary||Shri Tridib Kumar Chatterjee|
|Hony. Jt. Secretary||Shri Milinda De|
|Hony. Treasurer||Shri Raju Barman|
|Executive Committee Members||
Shri Ashok Narayan Barman, Shri Pinaki Mazumdar, Shri Pradip Barik, Shri Subhankar Dey, Shri Samit Sarkar, Shri Tapas Saha
• Donation of books to poor meritorious students through different social welfare organizations.
• Organising free health-check camp for people engaged in publication world.
• Helps to alleviate misery in the event of natural disasters & Act of God.
• In Amherst Street (Raja Ram Mohan Roy Sarani) is situated Children’s Happy Home, a school where most of the students hail from economically challenged families. For the support of these children, Publishers and Booksellers Guild decided to take the following initiatives 1) Provision of free school uniforms to all students, 2) Setting up a library consisting of Bengali, Hindi and English books, 3)providing tiffin on all the school days, 4) organising a free health check up once in a month.
The International Kolkata Book Fair has been recognized by International Publishers Association, Geneva as the largest book fair in terms of number of visitors
Publishers from different parts of the country and abroad regularly participate in this book fair which commences in the month of January every year. Here the booklovers come across a huge variety of books from all over the world.
Every year a country is invited to participate as the Focal Theme to showcase its literature and culture.
Countries from all continents participate in the fair and delegations consisting of authors, artists and critics visit the fair to exchange views with their counterparts in India on this occasion.
A number of important seminars, symposia, lectures and debates attended by leading speakers from all over the world are also organized during the fair.